Thursday 9 January 2014

GIRL

SAMIA MALIK



















GIRL

GIRLS ARE MADE TO THINK SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THEM 
GIRLS DON'T DESERVE EQUALITY
GIRLS ARE FULL OF MISTAKES
GIRLS NEED TO BE APOLOGETIC FOR BEING A GIRL
TRUTH IS NONE OF THIS IS TRUE!


Following write up is a comparison between being a women in art and fashion. 

I have noticed in art, being women you are expected to tolerate misogyny, and men are used to being misogynistic. Confrontation is not welcomed, women are constantly suppressed. Many women live up to the status quo of exploiting themselves, in the name of art and feminist statements. This is the kind of art that will predictably gain attention, just like a tame a Miley Cyrus stint. 

Coming from the fashion industry, being trained as a Womenswear designer. Fashion I still describe as a: superficial, shallow materialistic, unethical industry. But I credit fashion immensely for making me a strong women. Since the day I entered fashion, I was surrounded by powerful, brazen, and prosperous women. Fashion is an industry that celebrates the female identity. Whereas in art men and women are both awkward about the identity of women.

In art women seem hesitant, discreet, afraid about their feminist agenda. Coming from fashion I have a different perception, and experience of being a woman. Trained as a fashion designer you learn to work fast, there's no time to waste, you're surrounded by hyper assertive people. My head still works in the same fast pace; say it the way it is, there is no time to waste. I am not in the habit of going around corners, and roundabouts to a make a point. When I see sexism, it has to be pointed out clearly and concisely. Any act of sexism is an infringement of human rights. I have no time to produce throw back at work either, objectifying the phallus (arcetypal feminist artwork) give men a taste of their own medicine, however respect to all women who are dealing with misogyny in art. 

Art is dominated by men, and fashion a female dominated industry. I am not use to tolerate, and do not want to get use to put up with any type of ambushed misogyny. Neither do I want to dedicate my whole art career, only concentrating on making art work dealing with misogyny, there is a lot more to life. Nether did I enter art with the intention of creating any work dealing with misogyny. But this issue surrounds art like a dreadful drone, that needs to be removed for the progression of art, men, women and humanity in general.



No comments:

Post a Comment